Thursday, November 29, 2012

Health Issues

Oct 19th I saw the PA at my docs office, a reminder why I hate MDs...OK, he's a PA, but close enough. Needed a new prescription for my Flonase so I had to go in plus they'd called and said the doc wanted me to get my B12 rechecked because it was high when I had my physical. PA looked at my nose, said it's swollen, more than just allergies, wondered if I might be starting on sinus infection, told him I didn't have green stuff coming out. On to blood work, checked my labs from before, said my liver levels were a little high, too but didn't think the high b12 would cause that so I asked what would. "If you are fat." I said, "OR??" (Since that obviously isn't my problem, ya jerk!_ "Or if you have chronic hepatitis B or hepatitis C." I just stared at him and waited for him to say something else, wondering what the current sentence was running for assault. What a douche bag. Then he started babbling about other tests he wanted to run, checking my MMA. I asked what that was. Said it was to check to see if I needed any B. Tried for more information, he just repeated himself. Lord, have mercy! Took me back to one of techs and mentioned he needed to fix the door knob in the exam room, so they left me standing there while they went to find the tool to do that. I stood there for TEN MINUTES and he finally came back and said "Did you get taken care of?" I said "NO, she hasn't been back since you both left to get the tool to fix the door!" So he took me into the lab tech, he took my blood, then I got out of there. I was SOOOOO annoyed.

So, that definitely cemented the decision to change PCMs (primary care manager). I did like my doctor, she's around my age, so can relate to a lot of the perimenopausal stuff, but the location is a real pain to get to, 17 miles from the house through horrific traffic usually, and a friend of Ken's goes to a doctor who's office is just 7mi down the road and she sounds like someone who is open to naturopathic stuff, too. I dreaded making the call to switch, don't always have good luck with the Tricare people on the phone, but got a very nice young man and he was VERY helpful. And when I checked online 2 days later, the change had been made, so I made an appointment for next week. YAY!

Then I got a phone call Tuesday from the old doc's office wanting me to make an appt to go over lab results, so I figured I would do that and let her know why I'm switching since she had an appt available yesterday morning. She did apologize for the bad experience I had with her PA when I told her about that. And regarding my labs, she said my iron level is low, near anemia, so I'll be looking at that with my new doc. My B12 is still high, too. She also copied all of the labwork for me, so I'll be able to take that with me on Tuesday, so that will be helpful getting started. I've been having a rough time with depression lately and got hit hard with a bad migraine last week. First in quite a while. I'd been out of a few of my supplements so it might be because of that. I did notice that after the doc had told me to cut back on my B supplement was when my migraines increased over the summer, so I had bumped it back up because my naturopath and chiropractor both said that if your body has too much Vitamin B, it will just flush it out, it's not a big deal.

Really need to discuss the Topamax med. Started it to prevent the migraines. It's been working for the most part, but I am NOT fond of the side effects. Makes me clumsy, shaky, can't think of words and I have perception problems at night. I think it has increased the depression problems, too. Doc said cymbalta might be a better choice, so I'll discuss that with the new doctor.

I know mind, body and soul all work together so I've been doing some in-depth Bible study as well. Really good book by Kay Arthur: As Silver Refined has been such a comfort. I really have been unhappy about this move back to Texas, so I'm trying to be "content in all circumstances." It's a daily battle.
Took this photo last night while talking back and forth with friends on Facebook. I was lying on my back, the only way I'll take a pic of myself at the moment. If you saw a certain episode of Golden Girls, you'll know what I mean. Looking and feeling very old right now. LOL

2 comments:

Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

I do know that Golden Girls episode! LOL Great picture!

So sorry you've been having such a health dilemma! I'm not wild about my PC either, but every time I decide to change, he does something wonderful. :)

Retta said...

I found your blog through Jules, and wanted to say I hope you can get the health problems calmed down. You are so right... it all works together: the mind, body, spirit.

And taking your pic laying down, with reference to that Golden Girls episode gave me such a chuckle! I had my drivers license photo taken recently. Ugh! Wish I could've taken it laying down, ha ha ha.