Are You Committing a Fitness Faux Pas?
Are you sabotaging your own fitness agenda? Lots of people make certain mistakes when working out. Learn how to avoid these exercise pitfalls — your workouts will be safer and more effective! Here are six common workout problems — are you guilty? — along with solutions.
* Working out while tired: Not getting enough rest can lead to sloppy technique and an injury (not to mention crabbiness!). Get your rest the night before, or take a power nap right before exercising.
* Forgetting to warm up: Skipping a warm-up can lead to injury. It's best to warm up with dynamic stretches — moving stretches — and/or light cardio for about five minutes — your body will thank you later!
* Using momentum to lift weights: If you jerk your motions, you're not working your muscles and you could hurt yourself. Make sure your movements are slow and controlled — when you lift and when you lower weights.
* Leaning on the handrails of the stair-climber, elliptical trainer, or treadmill: This weakens the effect of your workout and can even injure your wrists and back. Instead, stand up tall and lightly hold the handrails for balance.
* Locking your knees: Always keep your knees slightly bent to prevent an injury.
* Getting stuck in a workout rut: Bordeom leads to quitting! Keep things fresh and interesting — change up your routine!