From Denise Austin
Rev up your Metabolism!
Want to give your metabolism a boost? While a pill or potion won't do it, there are ways to increase your body's calorie burn-rate! To keep your metabolism at top speed, use these tips from researchers at Moses Taylor Hospital in Pennsylvania:
* Don't skip meals or snacks, especially breakfast — you'll activate your body's starvation response and actually slow your metabolic rate! Small meals throughout the day keep your furnace burning at a steady pace.
* Go aerobic — choose a routine with enough intensity to make a difference! Walking, biking, cross-country skiing, swimming, and step aerobics are all good choices.
* Exercise for at least 30 minutes — after a half-hour, your body starts tapping into stored energy (a.k.a. fat) to keep moving!
* Shake it up — change your workout every six weeks. Your body will have to work harder to adapt to a new routine!
* Avoid alcohol and smoking — both keep your body from burning belly fat!