Thursday, September 4, 2008

Close Down Your Kitchen Early!

From Denise Austin today:

Close Your Kitchen Down Early!
We all get the munchies from time to time — even the most disciplined eater occasionally gets that nagging urge to snack, often just before bed! The problem with this unhealthy nighttime habit is that if you eat high-fat, high-calorie foods, like cookies, chips, or popcorn, you will most likely gain weight. And since I've given in to a p.m. craving a time or two, here's my simple solution to late-night snacking: After enjoying an early sit-down dinner with my husband and daughters, I literally close down my kitchen at 8 p.m. sharp! Yep, that's it! If I do start fantasizing about a pint of Ben & Jerry's ice cream, I drink plenty of water, and I brush my teeth, floss, and rinse with Listerine.

Give it a try! After a while, your body will get used to not having a bedtime snack. If you do feel a craving come on and my little trick doesn't cut it, then I suggest having a piece of fruit, such as an apple, or a handful of veggies, like some cut-up carrots, instead of giving in to an entire bag of potato chips! Trust me, your waistline will thank you!

3 comments:

Donnalouise said...

I'm doing much better with my late night snacking - at least I don't finish the full bag of chips anymore!

new*me said...

I try not to eat after 6 or 7. Sometimes the kiddos get a small snack close to bedtime but always healthy food instead of junk.

Anonymous said...

im a big fan of the fruit pops thats are made with real fruit and no sugar- they are between 30-50 calories and give me that filling of dessert of snack! i love them!!