Wednesday, May 23, 2007

To weigh or not to weigh

I "stole" this from Briana's weight loss blog. So I guess I'm NOT crazy for weighing myself every day. :-D Thanks, Briana!

.........I was reading in Cooking Light magazine sometime last year, I think, that you should weigh more often than all the diet gurus and companies tell you to. ??? Yeah, that's right, more often, not less often. Forget all that "Obsessed with your weight is not good for you" stuff. It's not true.

There was a study done on it, and researchers tracked hundreds of dieters in three groups. Group one weighed themselves every day for I think it was a year, group two weighed themselves weekly, and group three never/hardly ever weighed themselves. Well, almost everyone in group one lost and kept weight off. Group two lost weight or maintained weight. Group three actually gained a few pounds on average! And these were all "dieters"

The study suggests that by keeping a close watch on your weight while you are dieting is good for your overall results. You can see what that binge last night does to your body when you weigh in the next morning. I agree with these findings. It happens to me constantly. I weigh in the mornings, every day. I have seen dramatic results from a day to day basis. A good day where I have worked out and eaten light will shave a pound or two by the next morning, and when I have had too much food/drink the day before ... I have seen a pound or four the very next morning!

It lets me know right then and there what I have done wrong, and reinforces why everyday counts on this diet.............

I'll just say one more thing, it's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change! :-)

1 comment:

Naturally Blessed said...

Thanks for checking in on me! i appreciate the encouraging words...and i can sooo attest to this article. seriously. for yeras i have avoided the scales..not wanting to become "obsessed" with it and have effeciently put on over 50 lbs by ignoring the issue. tonite, along with a grill, i will be purchasing a scale....and i very well may get on it each day...i can not let myself creep back up once i lose the weight.

Stay Blessed!