Monday, August 17, 2009

Word of warning

Taking the personal protection course made me think about my fellow health bloggers. Many of you go out running or walking with an ever present ipod. I would just like to put out a word of caution when using those. They do make you unaware of your surroundings at times. You can get so wrapped up in the music, you can not notice other things going on around you. This can be dangerous in an area where there aren't many other people around. You feel safe in your regular routine. But it can make you vulnerable to danger. The level of violence in our society is increasing and although a criminal may realize you don't have credit cards or cash on you while out walking/jogging, they may not be looking for money. So PLEASE, if you are out alone, pay attention to the environment around you. And realize that not everyone intent on mischief or violence may not LOOK like a hoodlum.

And of course this also applies to vehicles when the driver may not be attentive. Please be careful and AWARE!

4 comments:

Hanlie said...

Nowhere is this warning more valid than in South Africa! I only walk on the street in broad daylight, no parks or paths for me...

My mom walks on the farm and carries a tazer with her.

Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

Wise words, indeed. Thanks, June!

Ro said...

Thanks for the caution and actually I've been at the track before and so engrossed in the music I didn’t even notice people walk up on me. One guy scared me half to death. I'll def take head to this note! Have a great evening!

Annalisa@Gracie'sGarden said...

I don't have an ipod, but I was talking with a friend about possibly getting one, and she warned me about it too. Our city is very safe, not much crime, but the danger is getting hit by cars, and even bikes! She suggested leaving one ear open, only listening to the ipod in one ear. I never thought about it, but it's pretty smart advice! Thanks for your concern! Now all I need is an ipod LOL