Saturday, August 1, 2009

Finally - sleep!

Slept in today to let my body recoup some of the rest I'd missed out on this week. I definitely needed it. The last two days I bumped up my treadmill to 45 minutes with interval walking. Lifted weights and did the ultimate abs ball yesterday, too.

Can you believe it's AUGUST already!?

The Skechers ShapeUps are certainly interesting. I like the stretches they tell you to do before walking with them. Not sure how much they are working my legs. It feels like they have been. I haven't been sore, but I think my regular walking has kept my legs pretty well toned and after doing the flights of stairs, regular walking feels pretty good! :-)

From the Women's Health website; The Truth About Diet Soda
The best thing you can do for your health is GET RID of this habit!
Another great article; 11 Secrets the Food Industry Doesn't Want You to Know
Some excerpts:
Sure enough, we found that a number of popular products are heavier than the package says. And that means you may be eating more calories than you think.

Keebler; Maybe they simply don't want you to know that when they took out 1 gram of fat, they replaced it with 3 grams of refined flour and sugar.

Kellogg's; Australian researchers have shown that cornflakes raise blood glucose faster and to a greater extent than straight table sugar.

Quaker Doesn't Want You to Know; that a Bowl of Some of Their "Heart-Healthy" Hot Cereals Has More Sugar than the Same Serving Size of Froot Loops.

Researchers at the University of Southampton in the UK found that artificial food coloring and sodium benzoate preservatives are directly linked to increased hyperactivity in children. The additives included Yellow #5, Yellow #6, Red #40, and sodium benzoate, which are commonly found in packaged foods in the United States, but the researchers don't know if it's a combination of the chemicals or if there's a single one that's the primary culprit. You can find Red #40, Yellow #5, and Yellow #6 in Lucky Charms and sodium benzoate in some diet sodas, pickles, and jellies.

The Meat Industry Doesn't Want You to Know; that the Leanest Cuts May Have the Highest Sodium Levels

10 comments:

Diana said...

Glad you got some rest and feeling better!

Geesh. I swear, those articles are starting to make me become a consipiracy theorist all around :) Great info though...glad none of them are my favorites!

Anonymous said...

I slept in also - its good to get rest! :) Thanks for sharing those articles, have a great weekend!

Weight Control Help & Strategies said...

You need to catch up on sleep from time to time. I have heard too little sleep or too much sleep can affect weight loss.

Emmett said...

Have a great weekend!

F. McButter Pants said...

Glad to finally be able to check in on you. Sleep is a very good thing.

Great info from the article! Have a great Sunday.

Hanlie said...

I'm glad to hear you're feeling more rested.

Yes, the food industry doesn't get my money anymore... I almost completely bypass them these days.

Farmers Wifey said...

I need to make sleep a priority as I am a night owl and suffer the next day! I started back at the gym today and did interval training on the treadmill too, I love it!!!

She-Fit said...

Where are my days going? I can't believe it's august... that means school is starting up soon :(

Anonymous said...

The diet soda is horrible for you. I gave it up about a year ago after my nutritionist told me it was causing me to maintain weight around my middle. I was drinking about 3-4 cans per day.

I was thinking about getting those Skechers, but I kept thinking that I'd be embarrassed to wear them outside my house. I really should invest in them. They are getting a lot of good reviews.

Anonymous said...

I'm very guilty of diet coke addiction :-( The article you linked to made me want to try and quit for good!