Thursday, May 28, 2009

Motivation for exercise

From Denise Austin

Feel Great!

Make a Date to Motivate!

Excuses, excuses, excuses. It's easy to make excuses when it comes to exercising: You're tired, you're still sore from your workout the day before, or you have plans.

The thing is, working out should be a priority. And one way you can start incorporating fitness into your lifestyle is by scheduling the gym into your day. Hey, you carve out time for lunch with the gals, hair appointments, bank errands, and meetings with your boss. Why not carve out an hour in the name of health and wellness? After a while, sticking to a regular routine will be second nature!

Figure out what time of day is going to work for you. If you can get yourself out of bed to hit the gym in the wee hours, go for it! Can you leave the office at lunchtime for a midday brisk walk? If the mornings are too challenging for you or you can't slip out of the office during the day, join the legion of nine-to-fivers who work out at the end of the day. Plan to meet a friend at the park or sign up for a class at the gym so you won't be tempted to skip out on it.

Make workout "dates" with yourself or with a friend — before long, you'll see and feel the effects!

10 comments:

Sassle said...

Boy, does this post apply to me. I need to exercise my body is too lumpy I need it to trim those lumps away. I have so many excuses and yet I'm only hurting myself with them. Thanks for posting this.

S.

Unknown said...

I think I must be the one with the MOST excuses... and none of them are really valid! Being sore from the day before... well, the truth, working out even when a bit sore helps relieve the pain... We just can't push it as hard. Even if the workout is just yoga or stretching of the muscles, it's good for helping east the pain...

My number one excuse has always been my working a physically demanding job leaves me exhausted for and too tired to work out... the truth, working out give me more energy so I won't feel so exhausted after a busy day at work...

Another one... I'll miss Dancing With The Starts, American Idol, My Sunday Shows, Bachelor, etc... well, truth is... the base gym has TV's on each and every one of the treadmills, elliptical, bikes, and there's even a TV in the weight room!

See, there is really no valid excuse that I can give... I just need to sit down and make myself do the workouts. I'm not going to succeed in being as fit and healthy as I want if I just keep using my excuses against me...

Thanks for a great post!

Angie in T.O. said...

It's so true! Thanks for the reminder!

Anonymous said...

Well, that's very true and I'm guilty of not doing it enough! I will try to apply the advice over the weekend!
Thanks!

JC said...

Hey new blog buddy. I'm so happy to meet you. I love your site. Thanks for coming by and leaving a comment. Congrats on the lbs lost so far. You are doing great. Your so right about exercise we have to make the decision to do it. I admire those that hit the gym hard and furious. I'm not one of those. However, exercise is as addictive as sugar so now I actually look forward to my Curves workout and mall and neighborhood walking.

I'll come visit again.

Patty said...

I workout at home, and sometimes I think people would be more respectful and encouraging if I said "I am going to the gym" verses "I am going to do my workout", but that is really just another version of the same excuse!!

MargieAnne said...

Yesterday's photo is amazing. You are an awesome example of what happens when we make the effort to get the exercise as well as the eating plan in good order. Note I don't mean perfect.

You are right about making scheduling gym etc. It's much easier once a routine is established.

MargieAnne said...

Oh ... I forgot to say thanks for your comment. The restart button is sitting there but I am beginning to feel ready to push.

Mary - A Merry Life said...

Yeah it really is all about finding what works for you and then doing it. Everyone is not motivated by the same thing!

Ashley said...

I really, really need to take that advice. Thanks for posting that!